Lonavala: A Scenic Hill Station Near Mumbai and Pune
Lonavala is a hill station town and a municipal council in the Pune district of Maharashtra, India. It is about 64 km (40 mi) west of Pune and 96 km (60 mi) east of Mumbai. It is famous for its production of the hard candy chikki and is also a major stop on the railway line connecting Mumbai and Pune. Surrounded by hills, lakes and waterfalls, this beautiful place is a haven for trekkers and adventure enthusiasts. Lonavala Hill Station Visit during One day Trip From Pune And Mumbai
Location of Lonavala
Lonavala is located on the Sahyadri range of the Western Ghats, at an altitude of about 625 m (2,051 ft) above sea level. It lies on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, which is one of the busiest highways in India. It can be easily reached by road, rail or air from both Mumbai and Pune. The nearest airport is Pune airport, which is about 70 km (43 mi) away from Lonavala. The nearest railway station is Lonavala railway station, which is well connected to Mumbai and Pune by local and express trains. One day Lonavala And Khandala Local Sightseeing – Explore Famous Hill Station.
Importance of Lonavala
Lonavala is one of the most popular hill stations in Maharashtra, attracting thousands of tourists every year. It is known for its pleasant climate, scenic views and natural attractions. It is also a historical place, as it was ruled by various dynasties such as the Yadavas, the Mughals, the Marathas and the British. It has many forts, caves and temples that reflect its rich cultural heritage. It is also a hub for adventure sports such as trekking, camping, paragliding and rafting.
Things to Do in Lonavala
The Hill Station offers a variety of things to do for its visitors, ranging from sightseeing to shopping to adventure. Some of the things to do in Lonavala are:
- Sightseeing: Lonavala has many places of interest that can be explored by tourists. Some of the famous places are:
- Tiger’s Leap: This is a cliff that resembles a tiger leaping into the valley. It offers a panoramic view of the valley and the surrounding hills. It is also a good spot for photography and sunset viewing.
- Bhushi Dam: This is a dam built on the Indrayani river that forms a waterfall during the monsoon season. It is a popular picnic spot where people can enjoy bathing in the water and relaxing on the rocks.
- Karla Caves: These are ancient rock-cut caves that date back to the 2nd century BC. They are among the oldest Buddhist caves in India and contain sculptures and paintings of Buddha and his disciples.
- Rajmachi Fort: This is a fort that was built by Shivaji Maharaj in the 17th century. It consists of two peaks, Shrivardhan and Manaranjan, that offer a splendid view of the valley and the nearby Khandala town.
- Shopping: Lonavala is famous for its chikki, which is a hard candy made from jaggery and nuts. There are many shops that sell different varieties of chikki such as peanut, cashew, almond, sesame and chocolate. Other items that can be bought from Lonavala are fudge, jams, honey, leather goods and handicrafts.
- Adventure: Lonavala is an ideal destination for adventure lovers who can indulge in various activities such as trekking, camping, paragliding and rafting. There are many trekking trails that lead to various forts, caves and waterfalls in and around Lonavala. Some of the popular treks are Rajmachi trek, Lohagad trek, Visapur trek and Korigad trek. Camping can be done at various sites such as Pawna lake, Bhandardara lake and Rajmachi village. Paragliding can be done at Kamshet, which is about 16 km (10 mi) from Lonavala. Rafting can be done at Kundalika river, which is about 100 km (62 mi) from Lonavala.
Tourist Places near Lonavala
There are many tourist places near Lonavala that can be visited by tourists. Some of them are:
- Khandala: This is another hill station that lies about 5 km (3 mi) from Lonavala. It is famous for its scenic beauty and natural attractions such as Duke’s Nose, Amrutanjan Point and Monkey Hill.
- Matheran: This is a hill station that lies about 50 km (31 mi) from Lonavala. It is the smallest hill station in India and is known for its eco-friendly environment. It has no vehicles and is accessible only by toy train, horseback or on foot. It has many viewpoints that offer a stunning view of the valley and the hills.
- Lavasa: This is a planned city that lies about 65 km (40 mi) from Lonavala. It is designed as a modern hill station with various amenities such as hotels, restaurants, malls, parks and lakes. It is a good place for leisure and recreation.
- Imagica: This is an amusement park that lies about 25 km (16 mi) from Lonavala. It has various rides, attractions and shows that cater to all age groups. It also has a water park and a snow park that offer fun and entertainment.
Significance of Lonavala
Lonavala is a significant place for tourists, as it offers a refreshing break from the hustle and bustle of the city life. It is a place where one can enjoy the beauty of nature, the charm of history and the thrill of adventure. It is a place where one can relax, rejuvenate and reconnect with oneself and others. It is a place where one can create memories that last a lifetime.
How to reach Lonavala?
The Hill Station can be reached by road, rail or air from both Mumbai and Pune. The nearest airport is Pune airport, which is about 70 km (43 mi) away from Lonavala. The nearest railway station is Lonavala railway station, which is well connected to Mumbai and Pune by local and express trains. The Mumbai-Pune Expressway passes through Lonavala and has many exits and entry points for the town.
When is the best time to visit Lonavala?
The best time to visit Lonavala is from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and comfortable. The monsoon season from June to September is also a good time to visit Lonavala, as it enhances the beauty of the place with lush greenery and waterfalls. However, one should be prepared for heavy rains and landslides during this time.
What are the best places to stay in Lonavala?
The Hill Station has many options for accommodation ranging from budget to luxury. Some of the best places to stay in Lonavala are:
Della Resorts: This is a luxury resort that offers various amenities such as spa, pool, gym, restaurant and bar. It also has an adventure park that offers various activities such as bungee jumping, flying fox, paintball and zorbing.
Rhythm Lonavala: This is a boutique resort that offers spacious rooms, suites and villas with balconies and jacuzzis. It also has a restaurant, bar, pool, spa and gym.
The Machan: This is an eco-friendly resort that offers tree houses, cabins and tents with panoramic views of the forest and the valley. It also has a restaurant, cafe, spa and yoga center.
Fariyas Resort: This is a star resort that offers cozy rooms, suites and cottages with balconies and terraces. It also has a restaurant, bar, pool, spa and gym.
7 Apple Resort: This is a budget resort that offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities. It also has a restaurant, pool and garden.
Lonavala is a scenic hill station near Mumbai and Pune that offers a refreshing escape from the city life. It has many attractions that appeal to tourists of all tastes and preferences. It has natural beauty, historical significance and adventure opportunities. It is a place where one can have fun, relaxation and enjoyment. It is a place where one can experience the best of both worlds.