Vijayawada – Best Travel Guide
Vijayawada is a city in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, located on the banks of the Krishna river. It is the second largest city in the state and one of the fastest growing urban areas in India. Vijayawada is also known as the City of Victory, as it is believed that Goddess Durga killed the demon Mahishasura and rested on the Indrakeeladri hill in the city. Vijayawada is a cultural, political, educational and commercial hub of Andhra Pradesh, with many historical, religious and natural attractions to explore. Here is a guide to help you plan your trip to Vijayawada and make the most of your visit. One Day Vijayawada Sightseeing Trip By Private Cab
Best Time to Visit Vijayawada
The best time to visit Vijayawada is from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and cool. You can also visit during the festive seasons, such as Navratri, Dussehra, Sankranti, etc., to witness the cultural celebrations and events in the city. The summers are unbearably hot, and the monsoons, although lovely and inviting, might dampen your plans if the rainfall is more than normal. Deccan festival lasting for five days in February and Lumbini festivals (December) are two attractive social gatherings here
Things to Do in Vijayawada
There are many things to do in Vijayawada that will suit your interests and preferences. Here are some of the activities that you can enjoy in the city: Indore – Best Travel Guide
- Visit the Kanaka Durga Temple, one of the most famous and revered temples in Andhra Pradesh and India, dedicated to Goddess Durga. The temple is located on the Indrakeeladri hill, overlooking the Krishna river, and offers a splendid view of the city. The temple is also known for its architecture, festivals and rituals
- Explore the Undavalli Caves, a series of rock-cut caves dating back to the 4th-5th century AD, known for their intricate carvings of Hindu deities, Buddhist sculptures and Jain idols. The caves are located near Prakasam Barrage, and offer a panoramic view of the lush green fields around them
- Enjoy water sports on Bhavani Island, the largest island on the Krishna river that offers a range of recreational activities such as boating, water skiing, jet skiing, banana rides, etc. You can also relax on the sandy beaches, enjoy a picnic or stay at the resorts on the island
- Tour the Kondapalli Fort, a historical fort built by the Reddy kings in the 14th century, known for its impressive architecture and scenic surroundings. The fort has three entrances, a palace, a prison, a mosque and a temple within its premises. You can also visit the nearby Kondapalli village, famous for its wooden toys and handicrafts
- Visit the Victoria Jubilee Museum or Bapu Museum, a museum that showcases a collection of ancient sculptures, paintings, coins, inscriptions and weapons. The museum was built in 1887 in an Indo-European architectural style and has been recently renovated with modern facilities. The museum also has a gallery dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi and his life
Places to Visit in Vijayawada
Panakala Lakshmi Narasimha Temple
Vijayawada has many places to visit that will appeal to your senses and curiosity. Here are some of the places that you should not miss when you are in Vijayawada:
- Prakasam Barrage: A barrage built across the Krishna river in 1957 that serves as a road bridge connecting Krishna and Guntur districts. The barrage also provides irrigation water to nearby fields and creates a lake-like reservoir that attracts many migratory birds. The barrage offers a beautiful view of the river and the city skyline at night
- Mangalagiri: A religious town in Vijayawada that is famous for its Panakala Lakshmi Narasimha Temple dedicated to Lord Narasimha, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The temple is located on a hill near Mangalagiri town and has a unique feature of offering panakam (jaggery water) to the deity instead of milk or water. The temple also has a huge gopuram (tower) that can be seen from afar
- Gandhi Hill: A hill that was initially known as ORR Hills but was later renamed after Mahatma Gandhi who visited Vijayawada in 1921. The hill has a Gandhi Memorial built on it that consists of a stupa (dome), a library, a planetarium and a sound and light show. The hill also offers a panoramic view of the city and the river
- Haailand: One of the most amazingly designed water park cum amusement park in Vijayawada that offers a variety of rides, slides, pools, games and entertainment for all age groups. The park has a theme of Southeast Asian culture and architecture and has many attractions such as a wave pool, a rain dance, a lazy river, a roller coaster, a 4D theatre, etc
- Gunadala Matha Shrine: A sacred place situated in Krishna district that is dedicated to Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. The shrine has a statue of Mary holding the infant Jesus that was brought from Germany in 1923. The shrine also has a museum, a grotto and a church within its premises. The shrine attracts many pilgrims and tourists, especially during the annual feast in February
Must See Attractions in Vijayawada
Vijayawada has some must see attractions that will leave you spellbound and amazed. Here are some of the attractions that you should not miss when you are in Vijayawada:
- Kanaka Durga Temple: The most famous and sacred temple in Vijayawada that is dedicated to Goddess Durga who is worshipped as Kanaka Durga or Kanaka Mahalakshmi here. The temple is located on the Indrakeeladri hill and has a magnificent idol of the goddess with eight arms holding powerful weapons. The temple is also known for its festivals such as Navratri, Dussehra, Sankranti, etc., when the goddess is adorned with different alankarams (ornaments) and offered special pujas (rituals)
- Undavalli Caves: A series of rock-cut caves dating back to the 4th-5th century AD that are known for their intricate carvings of Hindu deities, Buddhist sculptures and Jain idols. The caves are located near Prakasam Barrage and offer a panoramic view of the lush green fields around them. The most remarkable cave is the fourth one that has a huge monolithic statue of Vishnu reclining on a serpent
- Bhavani Island: The largest island on the Krishna river that offers a range of recreational activities such as boating, water skiing, jet skiing, banana rides, etc. You can also relax on the sandy beaches, enjoy a picnic or stay at the resorts on the island. The island is also a popular spot for bird watching and fishing
Significance of Vijayawada
Vijayawada is a city that has a lot of significance in terms of history, culture, religion and economy. Here are some of the reasons why Vijayawada is important:
- Vijayawada is considered to be a sacred place due to it being home to one of the most visited and famous temples in Andhra Pradesh and India, the Kanaka Durga Temple of the Hindu Goddess Durga residing on the Indrakeeladri hill. It also serves as the ritual host of Pushkaram (a river worshipping ritual in India) of the River Krishna. There is a legend which says that Arjuna, one of the heroes of the Indian epic Mahabharata, prayed on top of the Indrakeeladri Hill in the city and won the blessings of Lord Shiva to get the Pashupatastra to win the Kurukshetra War. It was called Vijayavatika (meaning Land of Victory in Telugu) when Goddess Durga killed the demon Mahishasura and rested on the Indrakeeladri Hill by the River Krishna establishing victory over evil hence the place got its name Vijayavatika, “Vijaya” meaning victory, and “Vatika” meaning place or land in Telugu
- Vijayawada is also known as the cultural capital of Andhra Pradesh as it hosts many cultural events and festivals throughout the year. Some of the famous festivals celebrated in Vijayawada are Deccan Festival (February), Lumbini Festival (December), Navratri (September-October), Dussehra (October), Sankranti (January), etc. Vijayawada also has a rich heritage of art, literature, music and dance. Some of the notable personalities born in or associated with Vijayawada are Nadeem Baig (Pakistani actor), Saraswathi Gora (social activist), Koneru Humpy (chess champion), Lavanam (social reformer), etc
- Vijayawada is also known as the commercial capital of Andhra Pradesh as it is one of the major trading and business centers in South India. Vijayawada has a thriving economy based on agriculture, textiles, automobile, hardware, consumer goods, etc. Vijayawada is also a major transport hub, as it is well connected by road, rail, air and waterways. Vijayawada has the second busiest railway station in India and the largest railway junction in South India. Vijayawada also has the largest bus terminal in Asia and an international airport that connects to major cities in India and abroad. Vijayawada also has a port on the Krishna river that facilitates inland water transport.
- Vijayawada is also known as the educational capital of Andhra Pradesh as it has many reputed institutions of higher learning and research. Vijayawada has several universities, colleges, schools and coaching centers that offer quality education in various fields such as engineering, medicine, management, law, arts, science, etc. Some of the prominent institutions in Vijayawada are Acharya Nagarjuna University, Andhra Loyola College, Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences, KL University, Siddhartha Medical College, Vignan’s Foundation for Science, Technology and Research, etc. Vijayawada also has many libraries, museums and cultural centers that promote learning and knowledge.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Vijayawada and their answers:
- Q: How can I reach Vijayawada from other cities in India or abroad?
- A: You can reach Vijayawada by various modes of transport such as air, rail, road or water. You can take a flight to Vijayawada International Airport from major cities in India such as Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, etc., or from abroad such as Dubai, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, etc. You can also take a train to Vijayawada Junction Railway Station from different parts of India such as Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, etc. You can also take a bus or a cab to Vijayawada from nearby cities such as Hyderabad, Guntur, Visakhapatnam, etc. You can also take a boat to Vijayawada from places such as Rajahmundry or Bhadrachalam on the Krishna river.
- Q: What are the best hotels to stay in Vijayawada?
- A: There are many hotels to choose from in Vijayawada that suit your budget and preferences. Some of the best hotels in Vijayawada are The Gateway Hotel MG Road (5-star), Novotel Vijayawada Varun (4-star), Quality Hotel DV Manor (4-star), Fortune Murali Park (3-star), Hotel Marg Krishnaaya (3-star), Hotel Manorama (2-star), Hotel Kosala (1-star), etc.
- Q: What are the best restaurants to eat in Vijayawada?
- A: There are many restaurants to enjoy the delicious cuisine of Vijayawada and Andhra Pradesh. Some of the best restaurants in Vijayawada are Babai Hotel (famous for its idli and vada), Hotel Ilapuram (famous for its biryani and thali), Hotel Minerva Grand (famous for its buffet and multicuisine), Hotel Southern Grand (famous for its south Indian and north Indian dishes), Sweet Magic (famous for its sweets and snacks), etc.
- Q: What are the best places to shop in Vijayawada?
- A: There are many places to shop in Vijayawada for various items such as clothes, accessories, handicrafts, toys, etc. Some of the best places to shop in Vijayawada are MG Road (famous for its branded showrooms and malls), Besant Road (famous for its textile shops and saree emporiums), Kondapalli Market (famous for its wooden toys and handicrafts), Eluru Road (famous for its jewellery shops and goldsmiths), One Town Market (famous for its fruits and vegetables), etc.
Vijayawada is a city that has something for everyone. Whether you are looking for spirituality, history, culture, nature or adventure, you will find it all in Vijayawada. You can visit some of the best attractions in Vijayawada such as Kanaka Durga Temple, Undavalli Caves, Bhavani Island, Kondapalli Fort, Victoria Jubilee Museum, etc., and enjoy a variety of activities and experiences. You can also enjoy the local cuisine, shopping and nightlife of Vijayawada. Vijayawada is a city that will make you fall in love with it.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and learned something new about Vijayawada. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for reading